Friday, April 9, 2010

not much growth

So, I'm seeing something in the garden, and it's time to figure out how to do it better. I might not be able to put it in place until next year, but I should try some things now.

For about 3 weeks now, my lettuce plants are still just the dicotyledons they started out as -- the nourishment they can get from the seed itself. The seeds I sowed a week or two after the first planting have caught up.
I need to make cold frames for my half barrels. It'll probably end up being a square cover on a round barrel, but there's not much else for it.

The cloches I see in the store are made of glass: I don't trust the neighbor cats and small dogs enough to use them. So a fiberglass something, or a proper window from the remodeling surplus/scrounge warehouse, would be the best start. Something that covers the whole barrel, can be vented, and stored safely during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment